Please Scroll Down to see Community
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Approved Log Mav's Knee Surgery Log (Right Lateral Meniscus)

Maverick602

V.I.P.
Logger
One way or another, at one time or another, you have to pay your dues...or in this case...a TOLL!

Back when I was playing ball or on the track, other competitors had knee issues and I remember thinking I was blessed with solid knees and in the end, I was. Never had an ACL or MCL tear. However, I learned ten years ago (with my first meniscus tear) that you cannot play impact sports and push crazy weight all your life without beating the shit out of your cartilage. It has a finite life-span....at least mine does.
2013 - Bucket-handle tear of the Right medial meniscus that was not only torn, but displaced resulting in my knee being locked at roughly 150 degree angle. It was an acute injury caused by hyper-flexing a knee in a high-stress situation. Had to hobble a couple miles down a mountain carrying a ton of gear. It was not fun. That was the worst surgery because my knee was locked at 150 degrees for ten days before I could get surgery and I went in with it swollen like a volleyball. Bounced back strong in 3 months.

2017 - Bucket handle tear of my Left medial meniscus. This was degenerative from overuse and impact, but we caught it before it displaced. I am right leg dominant, so this PT sucked and it took a long time to regain my strength, but I bounced back.

2022 - Horizontal tear of my Right lateral meniscus. This time the injury was not exciting or sexy. I was demoing a bathroom floor and popped up too fast (hyper flex) and popped it. Because of my prior experience, I knew exactly what happened at that precise second. I did PT for two months and sure, it strengthened the stabilizers around the knee, but you cannot fix a tear with PT. I have access to a freaking amazing knee surgeon (the same guy that did the two prior), so he did this one as well and this time...I am absolutely amazed.

The two days after surgery were a bitch. The pain sucked and I hate pain meds, but I took them. On day three the pain went from a 6-7 to a 2-3 out of 10 and was able to start exercising it.

Now for those of you who have not had knee surgery, the most important piece of your range of motion to regain as quickly as possible is "FULL extension". After surgery, your hamstring contracts natural and pulls your knee into flex so you have to resist the temptation to put a pillow under your knee AT ALL COSTS! It fucking blows, but you have to elevate your heel on a block or hard pillow and let the weight of your leg pull you into extension. It hurts like a bitch, but it is necessary.

Two other exercises that are a MUST:

Flex
Sit in a chair wearing socks on a smooth floor and drag your heel until you get your knee to flex to 90 degrees

Quad Fire
Your quad shuts down after knee surgery (so do your glutes and the muscles around your hip) and it is important you get the quad to start firing again asap
-put a towel under your knee when you are in full extension and press the towel into the ground and hold it until your quad starts to fire

Compared to what we normally do in the gym, these sound like something a geriatric patient does in a long-term rehab, but this is how everyone's body responds to knee surgery...unless you are the bionic man.

So over the last ten days I worked on everything above and I am now leaps and bounds ahead of where I was after my last two surgeries. Saw the doc today and he removed my stitches. He is thrilled with my range of motion and tomorrow beings physical therapy and I can push myself to but not through pain. The harder I work, the more my knee will swell so I need to take. measured approach to the upcoming weeks and push myself enough, but not too much. I will have to ice my knee at times, which is to be expected.

I suspect my glutes, hips quads and hams will be firing correctly within two weeks and I can resume light to medium training again.

I will keep you up to date with progress and any setbacks, if any!

Praying for continued progress.

I will follow up with the upper body training I am doing. Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday.

Have a great night!

-Mav

One way or another, at one time or another, you have to pay your dues...or in this case...a TOLL!

Back when I was playing ball or on the track, other competitors had knee issues and I remember thinking I was blessed with solid knees and in the end, I was. Never had an ACL or MCL tear. However, I learned ten years ago (with my first meniscus tear) that you cannot play impact sports and push crazy weight all your life without beating the shit out of your cartilage. It has a finite life-span....at least mine does.
2013 - Bucket-handle tear of the Right medial meniscus that was not only torn, but displaced resulting in my knee being locked at roughly 150 degree angle. It was an acute injury caused by hyper-flexing a knee in a high-stress situation. Had to hobble a couple miles down a mountain carrying a ton of gear. It was not fun. That was the worst surgery because my knee was locked at 150 degrees for ten days before I could get surgery and I went in with it swollen like a volleyball. Bounced back strong in 3 months.

2017 - Bucket handle tear of my Left medial meniscus. This was degenerative from overuse and impact, but we caught it before it displaced. I am right leg dominant, so this PT sucked and it took a long time to regain my strength, but I bounced back.

2022 - Horizontal tear of my Right lateral meniscus. This time the injury was not exciting or sexy. I was demoing a bathroom floor and popped up too fast (hyper flex) and popped it. Because of my prior experience, I knew exactly what happened at that precise second. I did PT for two months and sure, it strengthened the stabilizers around the knee, but you cannot fix a tear with PT. I have access to a freaking amazing knee surgeon (the same guy that did the two prior), so he did this one as well and this time...I am absolutely amazed.

The two days after surgery were a bitch. The pain sucked and I hate pain meds, but I took them. On day three the pain went from a 6-7 to a 2-3 out of 10 and was able to start exercising it.

Now for those of you who have not had knee surgery, the most important piece of your range of motion to regain as quickly as possible is "FULL extension". After surgery, your hamstring contracts natural and pulls your knee into flex so you have to resist the temptation to put a pillow under your knee AT ALL COSTS! It fucking blows, but you have to elevate your heel on a block or hard pillow and let the weight of your leg pull you into extension. It hurts like a bitch, but it is necessary.

Two other exercises that are a MUST:

Flex
Sit in a chair wearing socks on a smooth floor and drag your heel until you get your knee to flex to 90 degrees

Quad Fire
Your quad shuts down after knee surgery (so do your glutes and the muscles around your hip) and it is important you get the quad to start firing again asap
-put a towel under your knee when you are in full extension and press the towel into the ground and hold it until your quad starts to fire

Compared to what we normally do in the gym, these sound like something a geriatric patient does in a long-term rehab, but this is how everyone's body responds to knee surgery...unless you are the bionic man.

So over the last ten days I worked on everything above and I am now leaps and bounds ahead of where I was after my last two surgeries. Saw the doc today and he removed my stitches. He is thrilled with my range of motion and tomorrow beings physical therapy and I can push myself to but not through pain. The harder I work, the more my knee will swell so I need to take. measured approach to the upcoming weeks and push myself enough, but not too much. I will have to ice my knee at times, which is to be expected.

I suspect my glutes, hips quads and hams will be firing correctly within two weeks and I can resume light to medium training again.

I will keep you up to date with progress and any setbacks, if any!

Praying for continued progress.

I will follow up with the upper body training I am doing. Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday.

Have a great night!

-Mav
@Maverick602 are you training now? lets see tomorrow or wed how the upper body does

loved your old log will love this

PRE-SURGERY TRAINING ROUTINE

I do each day A, B, C once per week and the remaining days I do a mix of cardio, yoga and body weight training depending on how I feel. Being 49 I have to listen to my body and rest should I need more recovery time.

Day A

Warm Up:
Hi-Knee Hug + Spiderman Lunge + Rot. x20yds.
Leg Cradle 7 Lateral Lunge + OH Reach x20yds.
Inchworm + Push-Up / Psoas Kickbacks x10yds. Ea

1a Barbell Squat 3x10
(Injury modification - I swapped out squats for supersets of single leg extensions)
1b Incline Bench Ys + Ts x8 + 8

2a Db Arnold Press 3x10
2b BB RDL 3x8

3a DB Lat. Raise 3x10
3b Lying DB Skull Crusher 3x 10

4a DB Rear Delt Flye 3x10
4b Barbell Curl 3x10

5a SL Calf Raise 2x15ea.
5b Toe Raises 2x30

6a Rest Pause Pull-Ups - Set Clock for 5 min. - 3 pull-ups, 20 seconds
off, repeat for 5 min.

Day B
Warm-Up:
Get HR Up x1-2min
Leg Cradle + Lateral Lunge + OH Reach x20yds.
Inchworm + Push-Up / Psoas Kickbacks x10yds. ca.

1a Wtd. Push - Up 3x10
1b TRX Facepull 3x10

2a DB Chest-Supported Row 3x10
2b DB Low Incline Bench Press 3x10

3a DB Pullover 4x10
3b RKC Plank 4x45-60

4a DB Hammer Curl 3x10ea.
4b DB Triceps Kickback 3x10ea.

5a Battle Rope - 30s on, 30s off x3-5 rounds

Day C

Warm-Up:
Get HR Up x1-2min.

1a BB Zercher Squat 4x8
(Injury modification - I swapped out squats for supersets of single leg extensions)
1b Hanging Leg Raise 4x8

2a DB SA SL RDL 3x8ea.
2b KB SA Front Rack Carry 3x20yds. ea.

3a DB Clean 3x8
3b DB Split Squat 3x8ea.

4a Copenhagen Plank 3x30
4b Seated Calf Raise 3x12ea.

5a Ski Erg 30 on/ 30 off - 4-6 rds.

POST SURGERY - same routine, but I removed/replaced any quad, glute press/lunge with activation and mobility exercises (not listing these because I pull them randomly from my brain bank depending on how I feel

Stitches were removed three days ago on Monday and both my surgeon and physical therapist are amazed and thrilled with my progress. They attribute it to staying strong before my surgery.

This routine was created as my cutting routine for Springtime, but I had to modify it for the injury.

PRE-SURGERY TRAINING ROUTINE

I do each day A, B, C once per week and the remaining days I do a mix of cardio, yoga and body weight training depending on how I feel. Being 49 I have to listen to my body and rest should I need more recovery time.

Day A

Warm Up:
Leg Cradle 7 Lateral Lunge + OH Reach x20yds.
Inchworm + Push-Up / Psoas Kickbacks x10yds. Ea

1a Barbell Squat 3x10
1b Incline Bench Ys + Ts x8 + 8

2a Db Arnold Press 3x10
2b BB RDL 3x8

3a DB Lat. Raise 3x10
3b Lying DB Skull Crusher 3x 10

4a DB Rear Delt Flye 3x10
4b Barbell Curl 3x10

5a SL Calf Raise 2x15ea.
5b Toe Raises 2x30

6a Rest Pause Pull-Ups - Set Clock for 5 min. - 3 pull-ups, 20 seconds
off, repeat for 5 min.

Day B
Warm-Up:
Get HR Up x1-2min

1a Wtd. Push - Up 3x10
1b TRX Facepull 3x10

2a DB Chest-Supported Row 3x10
2b DB Low Incline Bench Press 3x10

3a DB Pullover 4x10
3b RKC Plank 4x45-60

4a DB Hammer Curl 3x10ea.
4b DB Triceps Kickback 3x10ea.

5a Battle Rope - 30s on, 30s off x3-5 rounds

Day C

Warm-Up:
Get HR Up x1-2min.

1a BB Zercher Squat 4x8
1b Hanging Leg Raise 4x8

2a DB SA SL RDL 3x8ea.
2b KB SA Front Rack Carry 3x20yds. ea.

3a DB Clean 3x8
3b DB Split Squat 3x8ea.

4a Copenhagen Plank 3x30
4b Seated Calf Raise 3x12ea.

5a Ski Erg 30 on/ 30 off - 4-6 rds.

POST SURGERY - same routine, but I removed/replaced any quad, glute press/lunge with activation and mobility exercises (not listing these because I pull them randomly from my brain bank depending on how I feel

Stitches were removed three days ago on Monday and both my surgeon and physical therapist are amazed and thrilled with my progress. They attribute it to staying strong before my surgery.

This routine was created as my cutting routine for Springtime, but I had to modify it for the injury.
@Maverick602 good to know this.

Can you tell me what you're doing in terms of supplements for recovery?