Please Scroll Down to see Community
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

banter at the gym while training

I don't mind some banter and socializing but I cannot stand when i befriend people and they want to waste my time talking about some bullshit. the other day I went in there and ran into the regulars who I usually talk to, and one guy practically jumped me and would not shut up for 30 minutes while i was standing there with my bag over my shoulder trying to get to the locker room. i wasn't raised to be impolite and to always make eye contact and listen. I could not get out of the conversation. well the guy was bitching to me about all his problems and his union pension and how he had to go to court over threatening someone etc. so my 60 minutes of weight training got cut in half. just wanted to vent and get some tips on what you would do in my situation.

Maybe he likes you? haha 😋 try saying this (I do that all the time to get guys to buzz off) "My pregnant wife is at home, going to give birth soon I have to rush back home asap..." bye

Literally as he talks say (yes, uh huh, ok, aight man i gotta train now). I used to talk to all sorts of homeless or wasted dudes everytime I go out. No offense to any1 but if your not going to give them "value" its a waste of time. Im just empathetic I naturally want to help/know people, its a waste man.

Edit: I work as a receptionist at a gym and when I'm not greeting people I keep my head down with headphones in. Just remember to keep your head above the waist in the locker room LOL

Last edited:
when i am working out im all business... my beats are on full volume and im in the zone... of course im not rude if someone wants to talk but i am quick to make it apparent im not going to sit there and talk... im in there to get what i need to get done...

i know exactly what you are talking about. BUT you should take this as a compliment what he is doing. he likely has nobody else to vent to and is reaching out to you just to talk cause he needs someone to simply talk to. this happens a lot in relationships where the female comes home to vent and she just wants someone to vent to, she isn't asking for you to fix the issue

i worked out at the same gym for 5 straight years and built up friendship with a lot of regulars. i was always taught you socialize between sets while resting then go back and do another set and then continue convo. so in that situation say hi and if he starts talking tell him let me get this bag locked up and changed and i will be right back.

another options is:
1. workout at a different time of the day where nobody knows you
2. switch gyms

Edit: I work as a receptionist at a gym and when I'm not greeting people I keep my head down with headphones in. Just remember to keep your head above the waist in the locker room LOL

i honestly cannot stand having to say hi to the receptionist when swiping in and having to make small talk. then again if the receptionist doesn't greet me or someone else i find that rude. so you honestly can't win lol

i know exactly what you are talking about. BUT you should take this as a compliment what he is doing. he likely has nobody else to vent to and is reaching out to you just to talk cause he needs someone to simply talk to. this happens a lot in relationships where the female comes home to vent and she just wants someone to vent to, she isn't asking for you to fix the issue

i worked out at the same gym for 5 straight years and built up friendship with a lot of regulars. i was always taught you socialize between sets while resting then go back and do another set and then continue convo. so in that situation say hi and if he starts talking tell him let me get this bag locked up and changed and i will be right back.

another options is:
1. workout at a different time of the day where nobody knows you
2. switch gyms
Thats exactly how I look at it even though I'm all business, if I can take the time to help someone else in the journey I try to it is a compliment someone noticing the results u are getting and how hard u work