help with pullups

I am looking to get my back thick and strong using pullups. I was doing overhand and underhand pullups and a guy came up to me and said that it doesn't matter and to also try chinups too. i thought that overhand works the lats more and the underhand works lower lats so wasn't sure.

MONSTRO

V.I.P.
Gold
Normally pullups are made to give a wide back is not to give density , so best option is wider grip , but every 4 weeks change grip to attack all areas

RickRock

V.I.P.
Gold
Overhand without locking thumbs andwide grip put more emphasis on lat width. Underhand hits lat thickness and biceps more, especially close grip

Vision

V.I.P.
Gold
It does matter with the grip, because you engage and disengage certain groups and stabilizers.

Chin ups will incorporate a lot of the biceps.. If you want to work the back with pull ups, don't chase numbers. Don't do half reps, and keep the form strict. If you don't have a pull up assistance machine at your gym, you can purchase a set of bands that help. I use these now and then to get a killer session for those supported reps. You can use regular bands. I purchased this pull-up aid, its OK. Bands are cheaper, yet this is slightly better in some ways.
Grips and hand placement does matter. Don't over stress it, stick with basics, if traditional pull-ups done correctly than it's more than enough for growth and development. As you grow and advance, switch things up. Remember don't chase numbers, just do them correctly!

It does matter with the grip, because you engage and disengage certain groups and stabilizers.

Chin ups will incorporate a lot of the biceps.. If you want to work the back with pull ups, don't chase numbers. Don't do half reps, and keep the form strict. If you don't have a pull up assistance machine at your gym, you can purchase a set of bands that help. I use these now and then to get a killer session for those supported reps. You can use regular bands. I purchased this pull-up aid, its OK. Bands are cheaper, yet this is slightly better in some ways.
Grips and hand placement does matter. Don't over stress it, stick with basics, if traditional pull-ups done correctly than it's more than enough for growth and development. As you grow and advance, switch things up. Remember don't chase numbers, just do them correctly!
1 why doesnt grip matter? I thought it was different grip different muscles

2 this pull up aid i never seen it amazing thing

Vision

V.I.P.
Gold
1 why doesnt grip matter? I thought it was different grip different muscles

2 this pull up aid i never seen it amazing thing
read my post where I mentioned to stick with basics

for this pull up aid, its good for those with injuries, or limited gym equipment. It's not bad to toss in now and then.