Please Scroll Down to see Community
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Machine only training?

Mobster

V.I.P.
So... an observation

As many know we encourage all our members to run online an d on our forums logs. We do this because it means we can, providing the information is detailed enough, assistance and advice on your diet, cardio and training.

Now, going back to when print magazines pretty much first started, there were arguments about freeweights (dumbbells, barbells etc (inc kettlebells, clubs and the like too)) vs machines. There ARE absolutely some machines which work amazingly and have movements you do on them which cannot be replicated with freeweight. There are also some machines, such as old school Nautilus kit, which are highly regarded by many. For some, if you're the right height, most machines are ok.

However, if you ONLY use machines you're missing out. The reason, for example, a barbell squat is so god-damned hard and effective is cos you're not only working the legs but a bunch of other muscles too. Just holding the bar on the traps and not falling ass over tit is working a bunch of muscles.

The argument is (as I've seen) 'I'm able to focus purely on my quads'. Fine. Even true. But there are very few you have built quads worth a mention without using freeweights. I'll go so far as to claim that a good majority of examples I've seen are literally missing out on gains by not making the workout as hard, brutal and effective as possible. You WILL use more energy squatting a bar vs a machine which means burning more fat too (if on a diet / cut).

Some will have injuries. That's ok.

Here's a thing I do - you can see this in my log. I rotate exercises. I'm not pounding away on tired and sore joints (much lol) if it takes me four weeks to do the same leg workout again. On back that might mean 7-8 weeks. Arms are currently two weeks as are shoulders. Heck forearm work is two weeks. And yes I mix in machine and freeweight work.

And there's a clincher - every single high level pro I can think of, male or female, uses some combination machines and freeweights.

Thus endeth the lesson

Endeth on that knights of the round table language 😁 my big draw back is I work out at planet fitness because it is the only gym in my area, they bought out all the other smaller gyms and converted them.

When I train you see I use alot of machines not by choice but because I'm forced into it because other then machines and smith machines I got dumbbells that go up into 70lbs that is it and cable machines, so I am super limited in what I can do if I don't utilize machines.

I wish I could say it was different unfortunately its my only option, I do try and do a ton of body weight exercises to work on my stability muscles as well as DB movements.

I wish they had actual squat racks but that isn't the slogan for planet fitness unfortunately lol.

I like to think I built a pretty decent body over the years with what I have available at my gym. I agree with you 100% free weights is the best and most beneficial overall for the body especially squatting wise.

I do a ton of volume so I probably pound my muscles way more then I should be doing, that style of training is how I saw and got my best results high volume circuit/endurance training, I will admit it does take a huge toll on the body after a while if not careful.

^^^ you can absolutely lift at planet fitness

i actually went to one for the first time a few months ago as a guest and they absolutely have plenty you can work with and their reputation is just clever marketing. i actually liked the environment, a lot of laid back happy people which is far better then the shitty attitudes of people at cookie cutter franchise gyms

So... an observation

As many know we encourage all our members to run online an d on our forums logs. We do this because it means we can, providing the information is detailed enough, assistance and advice on your diet, cardio and training.

Now, going back to when print magazines pretty much first started, there were arguments about freeweights (dumbbells, barbells etc (inc kettlebells, clubs and the like too)) vs machines. There ARE absolutely some machines which work amazingly and have movements you do on them which cannot be replicated with freeweight. There are also some machines, such as old school Nautilus kit, which are highly regarded by many. For some, if you're the right height, most machines are ok.

However, if you ONLY use machines you're missing out. The reason, for example, a barbell squat is so god-damned hard and effective is cos you're not only working the legs but a bunch of other muscles too. Just holding the bar on the traps and not falling ass over tit is working a bunch of muscles.

The argument is (as I've seen) 'I'm able to focus purely on my quads'. Fine. Even true. But there are very few you have built quads worth a mention without using freeweights. I'll go so far as to claim that a good majority of examples I've seen are literally missing out on gains by not making the workout as hard, brutal and effective as possible. You WILL use more energy squatting a bar vs a machine which means burning more fat too (if on a diet / cut).

Some will have injuries. That's ok.

Here's a thing I do - you can see this in my log. I rotate exercises. I'm not pounding away on tired and sore joints (much lol) if it takes me four weeks to do the same leg workout again. On back that might mean 7-8 weeks. Arms are currently two weeks as are shoulders. Heck forearm work is two weeks. And yes I mix in machine and freeweight work.

And there's a clincher - every single high level pro I can think of, male or female, uses some combination machines and freeweights.

Thus endeth the lesson
@Mobster I'm actually all in on machines due to injuries

^^^ you can absolutely lift at planet fitness

i actually went to one for the first time a few months ago as a guest and they absolutely have plenty you can work with and their reputation is just clever marketing. i actually liked the environment, a lot of laid back happy people which is far better then the shitty attitudes of people at cookie cutter franchise gyms
I definitely agree with that, when I was in peak condition sometimes people at planet fitness would ask me what gym I actually frequent, I would tell them I lift here at planet this is my gym, they would look at me confused for a second and call bs, the stigma is very real regarding PF lol I used to joke with people and tell them I'm out here to prove it's not the gym that builds a body it's the proper diet sleep recovery and methods that build the body. Majority of people at planet are pretty laid back it's easy going that is true.

Endeth on that knights of the round table language 😁 my big draw back is I work out at planet fitness because it is the only gym in my area, they bought out all the other smaller gyms and converted them.

When I train you see I use alot of machines not by choice but because I'm forced into it because other then machines and smith machines I got dumbbells that go up into 70lbs that is it and cable machines, so I am super limited in what I can do if I don't utilize machines.

I wish I could say it was different unfortunately its my only option, I do try and do a ton of body weight exercises to work on my stability muscles as well as DB movements.

I wish they had actual squat racks but that isn't the slogan for planet fitness unfortunately lol.

I like to think I built a pretty decent body over the years with what I have available at my gym. I agree with you 100% free weights is the best and most beneficial overall for the body especially squatting wise.

I do a ton of volume so I probably pound my muscles way more then I should be doing, that style of training is how I saw and got my best results high volume circuit/endurance training, I will admit it does take a huge toll on the body after a while if not careful.
LOL.

Train at home??

@Mobster always speaketh the truth with many a years under thoust belt. I feel your pain, no pun intended. I train in my garage and all i have is barbells, a rack with an upper and lower pulley, a bench and dumbbells. Oh, and a roman chair for crunches and reverse hypers.

I typically train compounds every single week combining two at a time, (Day 1 squat and bench, Day 2 deadlift and overhead) Im thinking Im going to try focusing on a different approach considering my joint issues and see if that helps.

For example doing deads and back focused work day 1 and day 2 being overhead press and shoulders one week and the next week day1 squat and other legs/core work then day 2 being bench and other chest/tri work but then Im only doing specific compounds every other week. All that to say, I do miss my machines.